Deadline has reported Netflix has ordered five anime series. Here’s the rundown courtesy of them:
- Pacific Rim is set to expand the world of the two live-action movies of the same name and return to the epic battle between the Kaiju and Jaegers. The series will follow two siblings — an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister — who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners are Craig Kyle (Thor:Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution).
- Altered Carbon, set in the same universe as the Netflix-live-action sci-fi series, will explore new elements of the story mythology. The series will be written by Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo.
- Cagaster of an Insect Cage is set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious disease “Cagaster” turns people into giant murderous insects, this manga-based series follows the struggle of a young couple to stay alive. Koichi Chigira (Last Exile, Full Metal Panic!) directs.
- Yasuke follows a retired ronin in a war-torn Japan of mechs and magic who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate. Lakeith Stanfield voices the titular protagonist, which is based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga. Creator/Director/Executive Producer is LeSean Thomas (The Boondocks, Cannon Busters) while the Grammy-nominated Flying Lotus will compose the music and serve as an Executive Producer.
- Trese, based on the Philippine graphic novel by the same name, is set in a Manila where the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore live in hiding amongst humans, Alexandra Trese finds herself going head to head with a criminal underworld comprised of malevolent supernatural beings. Jay Oliva (Wonder Woman) will serve as Executive Producer.
Which series interests you the most? Excited for more Pacific Rim?